Wednesday, November 19, 2008

More Movies

More movie reviews for you:

Made of Honor
I watched this movie without Morgan, during naptime today and maybe that is why I didn't feel is was a romantic as I was hoping. It was a fine movie. Basic plot: play boy realizes he is in love with his best friend, when he goes to tell her, she is engaged and asks him to be the maid of honor. He accepts hoping to break up the marriage and get the girl.

I don't really have anything to say about this film. It was fine. I don't think I would own it unless I got it for really cheap - less than $5.00. I didn't really care a lot about the characters. There were a few little scenes that were really fun/cute.

All in all this was a fine movie, but not that memorable for me.


The Jane Austen Book Club Some Spoilers
We watched this movie last night and really enjoyed it. Basic plot - 5 women and 1 man get together once a month to discuss the various Jane Austen books (and by extension their lives). Four of them are old friends and two of the people are new acquaintances.

I should start this off by saying that I really enjoy Jane Austen, but this movie (like the book Austenland by Shannon Hale) seemed to me to only use Austen as a vehicle to explore the characters and their lives.

I really enjoyed this movie. I expected the husband/wife to stay divorced, him obviously pining after her but she living her life without him. Even as the movie was going and he was showing obvious remorse I was just like "serves you right." But in the end when they got back together I was fine with it. He knew he had made a mistake. The wife still loved her husband and wanted to be married to him - the director didn't go with the 'modern, independent woman' cliche.

My problem with this movie is that there were a lot of sexual references, innuendo, etc. I would not allow my kids to watch this movie until after 14 or so (depending on their maturity). I'd like to watch this show again - which generally means that I want to own it (I like to own movies - I probably have about 100).

Before I go on, I would like to say that I am already planning on having my movies separate once my kids get older and actually want to watch movies. There will be the movies that the kids can watch and then the movies that Mom and Dad watch. And when they are older they can start to watch some of the other things.

So, to my dilemma. Do I someday buy this movie and put it in the Mom and Dad pile, or do I forget about it and shake my head at the movie industry for putting unnecessary things into movies?

3 comments:

bethellen said...

***Made of Honor Spoiler Warning***




I liked Made of Honor, for the most part. I was totally skeptical of it at first (the previews made it into a "My Best Friend's Wedding" in reverse). But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I didn't wholly appreciate the ending, I admit. I'm ok with the boy getting the girl, but I didn't like HOW he got her. I think she should have made her decision BEFORE the walk down the aisle...

As for your Mom/Dad movies thing, I really can't say. On one hand, there are levels in which your kids need to be exposed to evilness (it's like milk before meat, only with bad stuff), but on the other hand, if it's really that bad, should you own it yourself? I don't know. It's a tough call...

Melissa Lasley said...

I have to say that the movie wasn't that bad..I would recommend you seeing it, Beth as well as your mom. In fact when I was writing this blog Morgan questioned whether there was a lot of stuff in it.
Anyway, I will probably buy it if it is cheap enough for me.

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

I like your movie reviews. Matthew and I got Made of Honor from the library last night and watched it. We both thought it was horrible. I agree with you--you just don't care about the characters. Plus it has every cliche slapstick move in the book. I thought it was a halfhearted rehash of "My Best Friend's Wedding."

Did you read "Jane Austen Book Club"? I didn't like it at all. In fact, I thought I would hate the movie, but I actually liked it quite a bit. Its not very often that happens.

The Other Bolyn Girl I also was disappointed in, I was excited to see it after reading the books, but the movie just wasn't enough.

The Office is the BEST! We love that show! Its pretty much the only thing that Matthew and I watch together and enjoy equally.

Also, I recently got "She's the Man" from the library. It is a hilarious teeny-bopper movie with Amanda Bynes who I love. If you're looking for something lighthearted, check it out!