Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Movie Reviews

I've watched a lot of movies lately, and well...you're just going to have to hear about it.


Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
I wasn't expecting to really care about this one, but it was really fun. Really, really fun. Definitely one to watch with the family, and one to own at some future point.

Julie and Julia
Much better than the book, less swearing, drinking, and more Julia...but maybe because I didn't LOVE the book and only just 'got' through it, that I didn't love the movie either. It was okay and nice and all that. But I had never seen anything Julia Child, I'd heard of her, but she was just before my time. Its okay, don't spend money to see this one though.

Terminator: Salvation
I thought this was rated R, but Morgan showed me on redbox that it was PG-13 so we got it. It was fine. A nice action flick. A few days after we saw it Morgan said that he thought it was stupid because the computer go to all the work of making a human/robot cyborg thing and then when they have the chance to get John Conner they send 1 terminator when they have 50 others on the racks being made. Really, if you want to kill someone, go all out. Also they had a chance to kill Kyle Reese, a million chances actually and they did nothing but use him as bait. Maybe they just didn't know the future yet (all this past/future stuff is confusing) but come on. And no, I'm not voting for the computers to kill all humanity, but you want some brain power.

Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
VERY good movie. This was a lot better than I expected so I really enjoyed it. The story made sense and was fun. Amy Adams had a great character
and there were just enough little jokes to keep it fresh.

Angels and Demons
This movie is much better (cleaner) than the book. The changes between the book and movie were satisfactory to keep the story less complicated and actually a little happier/more positive. As for the Catholic Church portrayal, I don't really have a comment, I mostly take everything with a grain of salt.

Bonneville
This movie was okay. I'm glad I didn't waste Morgans time by having him watch it with me. It wasn't as funny as the previews tried to make it out to be. Mostly a little sad. The characters are 'mormons' who sometimes drink coffee, gamble, completely focused on family to the detriment of self. But they are good friends. My favorite scene was where our oppressed housewife gives her Book of Mormon to a hitchhiker. He pauses, pulls a fresh one from his bag and says he got it on his first ride and had been offered 5 others before them. I got a little chuckle from that.

The Women
This movie has Meg Ryan in it if you haven't heard of it before. The entire movie is completely full of women. There is not a man to be seen ANYWHERE (not even the background) until the very end of the movie. An interesting concept. As far as the plot goes, it was fine. It is about a wife who finds out her husband is cheating on her. Her reactions were very normal and it was good to see her go out and make a life for herself. Whether she gets back together with her husband or not is left up in the air, but you know whatever she does, she is going to be okay.
One sad part about this movie to me, was that when her friend sort of 'betrays' her (not with her husband, something else) she says that That is worse than loosing her husband. I'm sorry, but your husband should be your best friend. Having a falling out with your friend should not be the worst thing in your life.

1 comment:

Hartson family said...

Thanks for all the great reviews. I've gone back and checked your blog before running to the movie place and now I'll be checking it before arranging my Netflix. Thanks again!