Sunday, February 1, 2009

Leatherheads


I borrowed this film from the library this week. I didn't really have a desire to see it, per se, but I saw it sitting on the express DVD shelf and thought, why not?

I really enjoyed watching this movie! The previews had the little witty exchanges but I was surprised to see more than what the preview showed. The whole movie was very funny. It didn't take itself seriously and was able to channel a "Bugs Bunny" feel and make it work and fit with the rest of the movie. John Krasinski (from The Office) played a very similar character except in this he was not so sarcastic. Just a nice straight-laced guy. There was also a lot more plot than the previews suggested.

Probably the thing that I liked most about this movie (time period of after WWI) is the references to Sergeant York. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking 32 machine guns, killing 28 German soldiers and capturing 132 others. I saw the 1941 film in a History class in highschool and have loved it ever since.

Anyway, the the movie Carter Rutherford (John Krasinski) is a football player, war hero who captured German soldiers as well similar to York. If I hadn't seen Sergeant York in highschool I wouldn't have known who they were talking about, but I love that they talk about it anyway even though many of their audience may not know. If the story were real then naturally they would talk about a contemporary hero.

Lastly, I would definitely recommend this movie for a light fun movie night. Don't expect too much and you would enjoy yourself immensely.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Way too crazy... I JUST posted a movie review tonight BEFORE I came to your blog... *eerie music*... :o)

BTW... I just saw you with Joshua in R.S. on Sunday and oh my goodness... he is such a DOLL!!!

Lynda said...

As an interesting side note, Sgt. York was in the 82nd Airborne Division, which is the unit Sean was in when he went to Iraq. If you go to the 82nd Airborne Museum in Fayetteville, NC that have a section dedicated to Sgt. York.