Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Break Dollar Days


This past week was Spring Break for the Waterloo Schools. It didn't effect me since the kids don't go to school, and it didn't effect Morgan since he still has to work hard everyday. BUT, the museums around town were having a dollar days Monday - Friday from 9am-5pm. So we went to the Phelps Youth Pavilion one day (sorry, no pictures I forgot my camera) and Friday we went to the Sullivan Brother Iowa Veterans Museum.

I did not know this but the 5 Sullivan brothers were, obviously brothers who served together during World War II. All 5 brother were on the USS Juneau together (contrary to normal Navy protocall). The ship was torpedoed, and sank within one minute. About 100 sailors survived including one of the brothers. But because the ships left rather than look for survivors, it was several days before a plane flying overhead saw that there were survivors so when they went to get them there were only 10 survivors, and all 5 of the Sullivan brothers had died.

I took several pictures at the museum and tried not to get weepy in front of the boys when I read about all sorts of sad things that come with war. But here are some of the shots I got.

Eli and Josh both love to help me cook.


The boys in front of an old car. Eli is trying to get Josh to look at the camera.

Eli kept this 'dog-tag' in his mouth ALL day long!
Eli and Josh with the Sullivan brothers statue.
Josh was more interested in the statue.
They had a mini-replica of the front of the USS Juneau, the boys loved looking out the windows.

Here's Eli in a fighter jet.
Again, dog-tag in the mouth.

Eli popping out of the tank.

Don't believe me, here's the tank.

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

What a fun outing! I love trying new places like that!

Hartson family said...

Cool, can't wait to see it myself!