Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Meryl Streep is a good actress

I've been watching a few movies lately and had to give my review. First I feel I should say that I never really felt like I liked Meryl Streep. I told Morgan about this, and mentioned that the main reason is that she doesn't play characters that I like. Morgan told me that was the art of a great actress. After watching Doubt and Mamma Mia I realize it is true. I completely believe her (opposite) characters for both movies.

Now for the Review! - I watched Doubt knowing what it was about and even knowing the general principle regarding the ending. I appreciated this film. (You can't really like a film that is about whether someone abuses children.) You don't know who to really root for (other than the young nun who is just a sweet person).
As for recommending it, I would say if you are in the mood for a serious drama with good camera work than this film is for you.


My second Meryl Streep movie of the week is Mamma Mia! I watched this with two of my sisters-in-law and we watched the 'sing-a-long' version. It was fun to sing along with the words but that only worked for about the first half and then the songs/tunes weren't very familiar.
I had a friend mention that this movie was for her kids like Grease was to her as a child - a guilty pleasure. Kids don't know what all of the innuendo etc. mean, but parents know what's really going on.
The hard part is that this film is very appealing and then you realize they are selling a icecream sundae with a bug sticking out of it. It just goes down wrong.


Bride Wars

I watch this with Morgan thinking it would be a fun little chic flick. This movie is not a chic flick. It is for girls, but there isn't really any romance. So if you want to laugh with friends its good, if you want to cuddle up with your hubby, pick something else.
Morgan's complaint with this movie is that there were no surprises. They spoon fed you every single plot movement. They didn't trust their audience to have a brain for themselves.
However, this movie did have one line that is a Universal Truth. I don't remember it exactly but it went like this. The scene is the two grooms talking to each other on the phone.

"It like they went totally crazy a right before the wedding. Not the best idea. Not the way I would play it."

4 comments:

meghan said...

That is interesting about DOUBT. I held off on seeing it but you are the second person that has recommended it. Maybe I will have to check it out.

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

I like your movie reviews. I agree with Bride Wars--it was pretty boring and not at all romantic. Doubt was interesting, but like you said, not really one of those movies you "like." I loved Mamma Mia though, I have to admit. I even own it. I LOVED ABBA as a teenager and have ALL their songs memorized, so I love just turing it on and singing along and watching the dance scenes mostly. Have you guys seen Star Trek? BEST movie I have seen in FOREVER. I loved it. Matthew and I checked a few movies out from the library recently: Mall Cop was the worst movie ever. Not even worth the 2 hours it takes to watch it. Last Chance Harvey was OK. Pretty slow moving. I hate to say it, but Its basically a romance for old people. Happy movie watching!

Morgan Lasley said...

We really liked Star Trek.

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

horray!