Friday, January 23, 2009

The Eye

I suppose that everyone needs to have one of these stories sooner or later of children getting injured. Today is our day. (Sorry, no pictures tonight, but I'll get some on later.) I think the best way to tell this story is with Morgan talking to the nurse to find out if we should go in to the doctor.

Nurse: Is this Melissa
Morgan: No this is Morgan,
Nurse: Is this the Lasley's
Morgan: Yes, I'm her husband.
Nurse: So what is the problem with Eli?
Morgan: I hit him....
Nurse: Uh...
Morgan: With a Frizbee.
Nurse; Oh.

So Morgan, Eli and I were downstairs playing a little bit of disc golf. Josh started crying so I went upstairs to check him out. As I am changing his diaper I can hear Morgan through the vents say, "Look out, Eli." And then the crying.

I don't really pay too much attention to it. After all, this sort of thing has happened before. But then as they are coming upstairs I hear Morgan say something about blood. Now I know it is a little more serious. So I meet them in the kitchen to find that Eli got a disc to the eyebrow and it has split and is bleeding.

We got the bleeding under control pretty quickly and called Covenant to find out if we should take Eli in to get stitches or glue the eyebrow together again. They took our information, and had a nurse call us back...hence the above phone call.

Eli was really good at the clinic. He was happy by this time and just playing around and checking his computer (a fold-up brush from the diaper bag). He didn't really like sitting still while Morgan held him with a topical numbing solution but we read a book and sang some songs.

When the doctor and nurses came back in to do the actual work they wrapped him up like mummy or a baby burrito. We decided to stay in there with him, to comfort him as we could. He cried at first when they used a needle to numb him some more but we got his pacifier out and he calmed down. We let him have some fruit snacks for being so brave afterward.

Then when we got home we got him ready for bed, read scriptures, brushed teeth, etc. And Morgan told Eli that he was sorry again and Morgan went to time out for hitting Eli. Eli helped me set the timer and he talked to Morgan once it went off. Really Morgan did the talking/apologizing. Now Eli is asleep in bed with the stickers he got from the doctor.

3 comments:

Jamie Ortega said...

So you never did say specifically that he got stitches. Reuben wants to know how many. I bet Morgan felt really bad. Speaking from experience, stitches in the eyebrow is not really that bad and I am sure Eli will recover with minimal scaring mentally and physically as did I.

Hartson family said...

So Sorry Eli. That could not have been fun. Ian's had glue in the eyebrow before. He was a super patient, but it certainly was scary.

Jolley's said...

Eli will you put me in time out too? Then I can actually sit still for a moment or two. Too bad for the eye but you are still one of the cutest boys I have ever seen.