Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Farrell's Challenge



The last 7 weeks of my life have been very full with Farrell's Extreme Bodyshaping course. It is a 10 week program that does 3 days of kickboxing each week and 3 days of strength-training, which alternates between upper and lower body.

I have absolutely loved doing it. At the halfway mark we tested and measured ourselves and I had lost 8 pounds and about 6 inches off my body. I am stronger and more toned. I also lost about 3% body fat.

KICKBOXING
Kickboxing is fun, but I feel a little uncoordinated at times, especially trying to do 'hooks' and 'uppercuts.' I can tell that the right side of my body is stronger than the left side, but we make sure to work both sides to try to get them even.

The instructors all play very loud and upbeat music. The beat to the music really helps keep me going and in tune with everyone else. I also like that there are mirrors along one wall of class so that I can check my form and see how I am doing.

The instructor also wears a microphone to let us know what we need to do next. It can be hard to understand the instructor, especially when I don't know if he wants me to do Jabs or Jacks.

Overall, I leave the kickboxing days very sweaty but feeling good. I love how powerful it makes me feel. Not that I could hurt someone or that I am this great fighter, but that I can do more than I thought I could. I can push myself beyond my comfort zone and really become the person I want to be.

STRENGTH TRAINING
For strength training we use SPRI exercise bands. We have an O-ring, a Figure-Eight band and a long band. These classes aren't quite as fun as kickboxing. There is not a lot of cardio, but I feel sore afterward.

The idea is to work one muscle group at a time. So we will do 3 different biceps exercises and then 3 shoulder exercises. The goal is to make your muscles reach muscle failure so they are broken down and will build up stronger.

There is one instructor that is usually in our 5:30am class even when he is not teaching and he is very helpful in making sure that I am using the right form and that I "band up" or use a heavier band, even when I don't want to. Having that support to try harder is really great.

I also have 2 coaches that come to my 5:30am class regularly. They are there to answer my questions, help with form, and just support me in my 10 weeks.


WHY AM I DOING THIS?
I actually tried a Farrell's class about 2 or more years ago when a friend of mine did her first 10 weeks. She had gotten amazing results and I was interested. I LOVED the class then. But I was getting ready to try and get pregnant, then nursing and having another baby, then it was winter and I didn't want to travel in snow....the time was not right.

My friend Charity told me that her husband was going to sign her up as a Valentine's gift and she really wanted a friend to come and do it with her. We were going to Planet Fitness together, but not seeing results.

I talked to Morgan and we decided to have me sign up for it. (If you signed up before Valentine's you got $70 off. Class is expensive at $369.)

There is a competition that who ever has the best transformation in 10 weeks wins $1000. That is a big motivator for me. About week 5 I realized that while I can't control what anyone else does, I can work hard and at least become a contender for the prize. It doesn't matter if I do win, just that I transformed enough that I COULD win.

So Charity gave me the excuse to come and do the class and I am so glad that I have made the change. I am not 100% sure if I will continue after my 10 weeks is over, but I would like to. I feel strong and I enjoy what I am doing.

At the end of the 10 weeks I will let you know how I did.

No comments: