Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Flood


Sunday night we had a big storm with tornado warnings and LOTS of rain. Monday I went downstairs to start some laundry and was surprised to find the floor wet. We had about 2-3 inches in our basement at the deepest spot. The entire floor was covered. Luckily we had recently bought some shelves so all of our storage boxes were above where the water was.

Morgan was still out of town and I really had no clue what to do. I called our landlady (who never stopped by :(. and got Morgans laptop off the floor. The water did start going down later in the morning.

As it turned out all of the carpeting in the basement was ruined, and we are going to have to throw out the couch. Morgan worked really hard cleaning everything up and figuring things out. He ended up going to Menards and buying a sump pump because we tried to do a load of laundry and it made the water start coming up again. Our friend Michael L. called and came over to help Morgan. (I would not have wanted to have to carry that couch up the stairs!)

Morgan's laptop is fine, but we think his power cord has gone the way of the world. Our scale is most likely a goner. We haven't tried to turn on our desktop computer yet. Luckily it was off when the water came up...I think that will help. Hopefully the cords, etc didn't get damaged and it will work as well.

So tonight after dinner we are going to finish trying to clean everything up. Sweep the floor, mop it with bleach water and wash off everything else.

Hopefully this is the ONLY flood of the year.

6 comments:

Hartson family said...

Oh Man, that's awful. I'm sorry you got flooded. Lucky you guys got the shelving taken care of before it hit.

Melinda said...

Sorry to hear about the flooding. Good things it sounds like you didn't get too much damage. Hope everything recovers well.

Jamie Ortega said...

Thats horrible news! I hate when we get water in the basement. Too bad you have to get rid of the couch! I hope everything else can be saved. Good luck with the clean up. Oh by the way we sold our house!

Megan {ShabbyBlogs} said...

Oh my goodness! That is terrible! I'm glad everyone is safe though.

I read your comment on Cait's blog and I am so sorry you've had problems installing a new background! I went over each background on my test blog and found issues with my Aqua Butterfly design and the Sonny design. Other than that, they all worked just fine. (I am so glad you said something though- because otherwise I never would have known about those!) If you were trying to use either of those backgrounds, they should work now. If it wasn't one of those, the problem is most likely something on your blog. If that's the case, the only way I can fix it is if you go through the installation instructions and notify me so I can see what's going on. Then, I should be able to tell you exactly what's happening. Just email me any time! (ShabbyBlogs at Gmail.com)

One last thing... If you ever have any suggestions for buttons/blinkies, please let me know! I can never think of anything. :)

Cheyenne said...

WOWSERS! That is crazy and stressful and absolutely NO fun! Sorry, we'll hope that there aren't any more floods either!

Alisha said...

What a pain! Its good that you're renting though, right? Hopefully your landlady will take care of matters quickly!

PS Josh is growing up so much! He's going to be HUGE by the next time we see him!