Friday, December 14, 2012

Sorrow

Can I just say that I started crying when I heard about the shooting at the Connecticut elementary school. I am having a hard time getting over it. I don't know all of the facts, as obviously there is very little being said about the whole thing yet.

I had heard that a gunmen walked into a Kindergarten classroom and just started shooting. One news thing said that 26 people have died, another puts it at close to 20 with 10 of those being children. I cannot imagine what those parents and teachers must be going through right now.

I immediately pictured Eli in his 1st grade classroom and how vulnerable he would be. Just watching someone shoot and kill the students around your, it must have been terrible.

I admit that one of the first things that came into my mind was how the school was a Gun-Free zone. I knew that none of the teachers or administrators at the school had anything with which they could stop the attacker.

I don't know what the answer is. But children should never have to go through that. Part of me is glad that the gunman is dead, part of me thinks he shot himself after he came what he did to do, and part of me wishes that we could know why. As if knowing why would suddenly allow us to find a way to stop this from ever happening again.

My prayers go out to those families.

4 comments:

Morgan Lasley said...

http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-thinking_about_newtown.html

Unknown said...

I've been an emotional wreck the last couple of days. There are so many people that are calling for stricter gun control laws, which I don't think is necessarily the answer. I really appreciated the article Morgan posted. I think that the solution posted by the author of that article is the right one...let's get these people help before they do stupid things.

Morgan Lasley said...

This is unsubstantiated, but:

http://easybakegunclub.com/news/1943/Clackamas-Mall-Shooter-Was-Confonted-By-Concealed-.html

Morgan Lasley said...

Here's a better source:

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-armed-confronts-mall-shooter-183593571.html