Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Day!




Morgan got me flowers for Valentines. Can you tell? He told me that one of his goals was to get me flowering plants so that I can have flowers continually. So for one of our 7 days of Valentines he got me a Cyclamen and the grand finale was the orchids. Eli and Josh got me the carnations. I also got a couple of movies and lots of candy. Most of the candy is gone, so I didn't take pictures of it. I could take a picture of my pregnant belly and tell you it was full of chocolate, which is true, but maybe another time.

I wasn't expecting this largesse, but I am very grateful to Morgan for going the extra mile to show me that he loves me. It is funny how the little things can remind you of the great life you have.

My contribution to Valentines Day came in the way of food. We decided to have Four-cheese fettuccine for our Valentines dinner, but knowing how much we love Sushi I decided to make that Sunday night for a pre-Valentines dinner. We went very creative and used imitation crab & lobster, cream cheese, carrots, cucumber, avocado, sesame seeds, oranges, limes, kiwi, and strawberries as fillings (not all at once of course.) From that we learned that carrots are okay, but too crunchy when combined with everything else. We could use them as VERY tiny slivers to add color, but their are not a necessity. Also, Limes should never be put into a sushi roll. Maybe drop a couple drops of the juice, but any section of lime is WAY too much. Oranges, strawberries and kiwi are an excellent addition. We've add strawberries and kiwi before at restaurants, but the orange/cream cheese combination was D-licious!
So that was Sunday.

Monday Shannon and Kyle came for dinner and FHE as usual. But we had the previously mentioned four-cheese fettuccine, green salad, home-made rolls, leftover strawberries and kiwi, and a key-lime pie for dessert. It was also great because Shannon brought the rolls and salad, the strawberries and kiwi were leftovers and needed no preparation and I made the fettuccine in advance so Valentines day I wasn't slaving around in the kitchen trying to get everything ready!
To make this extra special I got out the China plates my mom gave me and used our fancy silverware. I even had a salad fork and a dinner fork. (Extra dishes - yes, but definitely made it more restaurant-esque.) I also got out a new tablecloth and used lamp-light and pseudo-candlelight instead of the overheard. It was a really great day and a really great week.

It was really fun to have a special dinner at home rather than going out to a restaurant. While I still love to eat out and will continue to do so as I have the option, it is so much more cost-effective to just make nice food ourselves. Buy the good piece of meat, cook it yourself and you've saved big moo-la. Our sushi would have cost us 70+ at a restaurant but I think we paid $15 for the ingredients.

No comments: