Thursday, May 14, 2009

Insomnia or Imsomnia?

A quick note I just noticed that my first title to this post was iMsomnia - just further evidence to how tired I am.


It started on a dark night about two weeks ago. Morgan was out of town for a work retreat. It was quiet, peaceful until a scream pierced through the night.


We have not had a good nights sleep in what seems like forever. Eli has been waking up in the middle of the night crying, calling for us. We've let him sleep on the floor in our bedroom. A couple of nights ago I woke up because I was squished and I thought Morgan was hogging the bed. When I looked over I find that Eli is in the middle. I figure Morgan must have gotten him and let him sleep in our bed and I didn't wake up for it.
In the morning Morgan asks something along the lines of why I let Eli in our bed when only the day before we had decided to let him sleep on our floor when he was going crazy. I looked at him and said, I didn't bring Eli into bed, I thought YOU did.
That's right. Eli woke up on his own, and had to have climbed Over top of one of us to get in the middle of the bed.

Luckily that hasn't happened again, and we've got him to stay in his own room the last two nights. Unfortunately Josh is on a no-sleeping kick too. I just don't know what to do about Josh. He wakes up crying, if I hold him he will immediately relax and start going back to sleep, but the moment I put him in his crib he'll wake up crying again.
We've decided to try to teach Josh to go to sleep on his own, hoping that will solve the problem. (Plus he needs to learn how to do it anyway.) Today he cried for 45 minutes, slept for 20 and woke up crying again. I finally caved and put him to sleep because he was so tired and cranky. Even then he didn't sleep for long, but at least he woke up happy!

2 comments:

Hartson family said...

Oh, so sorry sleep is not happening peacefully for anyone at your place. This too shall pass. I know it's not comforting at the moment, but it won't last forever. You guys are awesome parents and I know you'll get through.

meghan said...

NO SLEEPING STINKS! Good Luck hope it passes quickly. I can relate right now and it is no fun