Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Magic Words

I really should have insisted that Morgan write a blog post about this, since after it happened he turned to me and said, "That is blog worthy." But since Morgan is busy and rarely finds the time to update his blog the story would remain untold unless I took it upon myself.

As most people know, as a parent you will go through all sorts of different antics in order to get your child to eat their food. We, of course, are no different. To get Eli to eat his dinner we have lawnmower bites, race car bites, dump truck, garbage truck, bob the builder, people bites...etc. You get the picture. Another one of our methods is involves trade-offs. Eli will ask for more juice and we will tell him to take a bite of food first and then we will fill his cup. This has worked quite well, we'll add a little juice to his cup, he drinks it, takes a bite, more juice, another bite.

Well, last night at dinner the following scene played out.

Eli: I need more juice.
Me: Can you use a nice sentance?
Eli: Will you, mom, more juice.
Me: What's the magic word? (I'm looking for please)
Eli: Eli take a bite, have more juice. (Which he proceeds to do.)
Me: Please?
Eli: Please.


Then today Eli was talking about how he wanted to play with a train, and specifically train tracks. (We are getting some for him for Christmas and he was there when we bought them, although this is the first time he seemed to remember them.)

Eli: Mommy I want train tracks.
Me: We don't have any. Maybe you'll get some for Christmas.
Eli: Mommy I want train tracks.
Me: You'll have to ask Santa Claus.
Eli: Where's Santa Claus? Where's Santa Claus? (I think he thought that if he found him right then he would get the train.)
Me: I think you'll see Santa in Utah.
Eli: Go to Utah, Grandma's house find Santa.

Later in the day, talking to our neighbor Eli says: I'm going to Utah to find Santa Claus.

3 comments:

Hartson family said...

By the time I sit down to blog, the "blog-worthy" moments have left my head. Thanks for not waiting for dad and just getting it down!

Stephanie said...

Of course Santa lives in the promised land of Utah. I'm sure he loves it in Zion. :)

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

So funny! What a cute kid!