Monday, January 31, 2011

Books

I love to read. I often read the same books over, and over, and over and over again. I definitely have my favorites. But I like to try new books. I try to be open minded about what I read, going for a variety of topics, styles, authors, etc. To be honest some times I just pick a book based on its cover. It will grab my attention, I'll read the back and borrow it from the library.

Well last week I found one at the library entitled The Sister Wife. It is about a LDS woman in Nauvoo whose husband is asked to take a young widow as a second wife. I guessed the author wasn't LDS but decided to give it a try. After reading the prologue I had to put it down. The author insinuated that the husband had been told he would soon be one of the 12 apostles, they also explicitly said that if a woman wanted to leave her husband because she didn't believe in polygamy she would be followed, brought back and punished.
I've read books that placed LDS in unfavorable light before, but I just can't read this book when the author obviously has no respect for either History or my religion which I hold dear. I hate having to not finish a book, but I am too disappointed to continue with it. Arg.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about hating not finishing a book. I started reading a book not too long ago, but realized about a third of the way through that I just didn't feel good about life or anything when I was reading it. So I put it down and told Wade that we should probably throw it away. It makes me sick to think of throwing away a book, but then again, I can't stand the thought of reading it any more. Good for you to have the courage to put it down. I love you!