Sunday, March 20, 2011

Everybody's NOT Fine




I had seen a preview for this movie and thought it looked very funny. Robert De Niro is so good at subtle humor that I was really looking forward to this. We got it as a Netflix DVD and through our busy life never got around watching it for over a month. Morgan thinks that we had a premonition that this film would not be good.

Let me clarify. The film itself was very enlightening, and well done. It was engaging and created a emotional response in me. All the parts that they showed in the preview (which were funny) were in the film and in fact, were funny. But the movie WAS NOT a comedy. It was a crazy serious drama that I was crying through practically the whole time. It made me sad and mad.

The plot involves a father whose wife has died 5 months previously and each of his four children call and cancel on an annual family reunion-type activity. He decides since the children can't see him, he will go across the country to see the kids.
There is a lot going on and I won't explain it in case you decide to see this film, but the part that upset me the most was that one of the sons got into trouble in Mexico and none of the other kids are going to tell their dad about it. How dare you not tell your father that his own son is in serious trouble. Arg. It made me so mad.

The movie did make me want to stay in closer contact with my own siblings and parents, though. So something good did come out of it.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I hated it. Let's all lie to Dad while he travels the country having his heart broken all over again by his compassion-less/ful? children. Let's just distance ourselves from him rather than tell him he failed as a father and we're all sorts of screwed up. Weird.