Saturday, June 27, 2015

Cafe Duo vs. Whisky Road Restaurant

Morgan and I had the opportunity to try two different restaurants recently. I thought I would share my thoughts for anyone interested.


Cafe Duo 
The design of this restaurant was beautiful. You could tell by the bathrooms that it was a high end restaurant. You could also tell by the menu!

Morgan ordered a burger with a salad and I got steak and potatoes. We also ordered an asparagus quiche because we saw one in the kitchen and it looked amazing.


We were with a large group of friends, probably 11 in total. It took the kitchen 90 minutes to bring out our food.

The food tasted very good, but there just wasn't enough. If Morgan and I hadn't ordered the extra quiche (which they accidently brought out with an extra side) I would have left the restaurant still hungry.

The presentation of the food was great, especially the salad which was wrapped in a cucumber slice, but still there wasn't enough food. *Disclaimer: my experience with high end food is limited to what I see on tv.
That said, it seemed like they were trying to be like the chefs on TV that give small portions of food. That is fine and dandy, if you have a three or four course meal. But the restaurant did not have appetizers or desserts on its menu. If you don't have an appetizer on your menu then you should believe that you will serve enough food with the meal to satisfy your customer.

The service was okay. Our waiter was kind and I always had plenty of water to drink, but when you have to wait so long for you food you are not really going to like your server.

Bottom line: Excellent tasting food, but not enough food and service was lacking. The server himself wasn't terrible, but the experience all together left me sour.


Whisky Road 
Morgan and I went to Whiskey Road to celebrate our 13th anniversary. The restaurant was smaller than Morgan thought it would be, but we were still able to get a table without having to wait.

The servers were all young, attractive college students (most likely). They were not dressed immodestly, and were very kind and attentive.

The FOOD was GREAT! I ordered salmon with asparagus and baked potato and Morgan got a steak with asparagus and Blue Cheese Au Gratin.

We both had just the right amount of food to be satisfied. We didn't get an appetizer because we wanted to save room for the dessert which was raspberry filled homemade donuts.

The donuts were the only disappointing thing about the evening. They were warm, covered in sugar and delicious. However, I had one donut that did not have ANY raspberry filling and some of the others only had a little bit of filling.
I absolutely LOVE raspberry filled powder donuts, at least the ones that I had when I was a kid going to the Hostess outlet with my dad. Lately I haven't been able to find any that have had enough filling. So, it was mildly disappointing, but still VERY Delicious.

Whiskey Road was also a little cheaper than Cafe Duo, but not by much.

Bottom Line:I would definitely go back to Whiskey Road again and again (I definitely want to try their hamburgers.

No comments: