Friday, July 13, 2012

Learning About Myself

I am weird.

I think I always knew this, but it is becoming more and more clear to me.

Also, I don't mind that I am weird. In fact, I like it.


Part of my acceptance of my weirdness comes from the fact that I really enjoy reading diet books, fitness books, health books, money books, and budget books. If there is a book on how to improve yourself (in something I am currently working on) then I will read it.

I am currently reading my 5th health/diet book since January. I thought it was only the 4th but then I checked my Goodreads account and noticed another.

The first book was The 17 Day Diet.  I loved it, and would recommend it to anyone. I love his ideas so much better than The South Beach Diet which have done previously.

The I read Unlimited by Jillian Michaels. I love her workouts because they hurt so good. Her book was more about overall motivation and not exactly what I was looking for, but still good.

Then came Drop Dead Healthy, which was just snippets of information. It was like I got appetizers of things to change, but no real meat.

I read The Skinny Rules this past week by Bob Harper of The Biggest Loser. His 20 rules were pretty good, I agreed with many of them. However, I couldn't get past his tone...it just threw me off a little bit.

Now I have just started Mindless Eating about the cues that make people eat more even when they don't need it.



All of this work since January has paid off. I came home from Christmas weighing 186 pounds and made a goal to get to 150. I actually made that goal this time around.  Previously when I tried to lose weight I said that I would try to get to 150, but really I wanted to get to 160. I just didn't believe that 150 was really possible.

Well, this morning I weighed myself at 152. It is only a matter of time before I hit 150. Now I have made a new goal of getting to 140, and possibly below. If I hit 140 I will officially no longer be "overweight" on the BMI scale.


I have changed my diet to lose weight, but I am also exercising so much more, and I am exercising smarter too. I actually love to exercise now. Or rather, I love the way it makes me feel and results I see from it. I love that I am stronger and can do more things with my family. I love that I hiked Lightening Ridge without too much trouble. I love that I can go on really long bike rides and not be dead the next day.

I used to do a Walk Away the Pounds DVD. (I still do it sometimes.)  I started doing it after Eli was born, and it was what I needed at the time. I needed something to get me moving. I was still doing it five years later and it wasn't giving me much challenge. In order for me to get a difficult workout I have to do the 3-mile walk, and I usually only made time for the 2-mile.


Then I started doing Jillian Michaels DVDs. It hurt and was hard, and I loved it. I needed her tough love saying that I can do hard things. My body is strong and can push through the pain to be stronger. I got to the point where I needed a difficult challenge.

For the past few weeks I have been going to a high school track at 6am to exercise with my friends. Three days a week we work on the Couch 2 5K program, and two days we do strength training. It has been great to push myself in new ways and realize that I actually can run.


Anyway, I know this post has been long. I didn't plan on that, but it just became more like a journal entry of how I am changing my life. Change is good. I think I am a better person now because of the changes that I have made.



2 comments:

Krista said...

Rock on! You have done great and I know you can keep going! I think a huge part of creating a healthier lifestyle is to learn all you can! The science behind weight loss and then how you can best apply that knowledge to your life.

Keep it up!

PetEm said...

This might be very similar to the book that you're reading now, but Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch is a book I really enjoyed. Congrats on reaching your goals!