Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Swimming Lessons

Eli and Josh at the pool

Splashing fun!

Sweet Joshua




The last week of June Eli and Joshua had swimming lessons. I decided to sign them both up for the Toddler Class. It said 2-4 year olds, and I figured we were close enough. Eli was a little bored at first, but he wasn't quite advanced enough to go to the next class.

Josh clung to me pretty much the whole time. He wasn't too scared, for the most part, but didn't want to be left alone.

Eli's big hurdle was his eyes. He hates getting his eyes wet. When we had come to the pool earlier every time he got water in his eyes he would go out and dry them off on the towel. So I told Eli that we had a rule during swim lessons that he had to wait until the end to go and dry his eyes, and he could only use his hands to wipe the water from his eyes.

Eli did really wonderfully. Thursday we were really working on him to 'bob' under and out of the water. He just didn't want to. I told him I would give him two candies if he did. So down and up he came. Then he started bobbing all over the place and showing all the teachers and friends who were around!
Friday we were the only class there because everyone else had a two week class with Fridays as rain days, and we were only a 1 week class Monday-Friday. We had the pool to ourselves. After playing around for a little while the lifeguard/teachers told us that we could turn the waterslide on and go down with the kids. Eli went down a couple of times with one of the teachers, Josh would only go down with me, but I did get to go down with Eli a couple of times. It was hard for me because I had to try and go slowly and make sure the kids (especially Josh) didn't go under the water at the bottom. I didn't want to make them scared.

After we played there for a while we got to go on the diving boards. We had done this earlier in the week. The kids got life jackets on and one of the lifeguards would catch them and help them to the side. Josh made me walk out with him and hold his hand as he jumped in the water. Eli couldn't go on the boards often enough.

As I was helping Josh in the water one of Eli's teachers asked him if he wanted to go on the HIGH diving board. Eli said sure and up he climbed. This board has got to be 12-15 feet, I'm not sure, but high enough that I'm not sure if I would jump off of it.
Eli got to the board and started walking out when he realized how high it was and said he didn't want to. Being the mom I am, I hollered up to him that if he jumped off of it I would give him two licorice when we got home. He got all excited about that and was very courageous and jumped off the high diving board.

Now, he only jumped off it that one time. After he got what he wanted he just jumped from the middle and low board the rest of the time. But I am definitely proud of him and wish that I had had my camera. Go Eli!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Wow, the high dive? What a brave kid! Swimming lessons are so much fun, glad they had a good experience.